If you are looking to invest in a wood lathe, then Laguna 12 16 lathe is the perfect investment for your shop.
This machine offers high-quality performance and long life at an affordable price. It’s the ideal choice for both home workers who have never used a lathe before, as well as those with some experience who are looking to upgrade to a better one.
With laguna 12 16 lathes, you will be able to turn small to medium size pieces of wood into beautiful furniture with ease!
This post contains affiliate links. If you use these links to buy something we may earn a commission. Thank you!
Laguna 12 16 Lathe Review
Laguna Lathes are the finest lathes in existence and feature professional quality construction. The 12″/16″ is perfect for small fabrication shops, jewelry artists, general hobbyists, or beginners.
This EVS midi-lathe has a 1HP DC permanent magnet motor to ensure smooth operation and less noise than belt-driven motors of similar size.
The PWM (pulse width modulation) controller allows independent control over spindle speed and radial positioning which will increase efficiency when tackling those precision jobs. The auxiliary power switch helps with safety by providing access to electrical operation without fear of shock from contact with metal parts during start-up/shut down operations!
The 1216 controls pulse width modulation to a 1 hp DC motor, which helps make the lowest speed 250 rpm.
Three variable speeds
This machine features three variable speeds ranging from high (650 – 3500 RPM), mid (325 – 1750 RPM), and low (50 – 525 RPM).
This machine is able to fit into more places than a full-size model as it’s small enough to be moved by one person!
The whole package is 37 x 20 x 15 inches.
The Laguna 12/16 features precision cast iron ways that are preloaded and geared for trouble-free turning while running at high speeds.
This wood lathe is able to handle projects up to 12-inches in diameter and projects of 15-inch length. Turning bowls, pens, and similar items are easy on this machine.
- Motor 1HP DC Permanent Magnet Motor
- Controller Pulse Width Modulation (PWM)
- Electrical Requirements 230v – 1Ph 50 Hz
- Speed Ranges High 650 – 3500 RPM, Mid 325 – 1750 RPM, Low 50 – 525 RPM
- Distance Between Centers 394 mm (15.5”)
- Swing Over Bed 318 mm (12-1/2”)
- Swing Over Banjo 241 mm (9-1/2”)Max.
- Outboard Swing 406mm (16”)
- Spindle Bore 9.5mm (3/8”)
- S. Taper MT2
- Spindle Thread M33 x 3.5 (both ends)
- Front Bearing 6006LLU
- Rear Bearing 6006LLU
- Indexing 24 positions w/lock
- Belt Drive belt Poly-V Belt 6 Grooves
- Tail stock quill travel 63.5 mm (2-1/2”)
- Tail stock taper MT2
- Bed Length 746.8 mm (29.4”)
- Tool Rest Length 152.4 mm (6″)
- Tool Rest Post Dia.25.4mm (1”)
- Faceplate Dia.76.2 mm (3”)
- Certification CEFloor to bed height170 mm (6.7”) no pads
- Floor to Spindle Center 328.75 (13”) no pads
- Overall Size L x W x H746.8 mm x 226 mm x 442 mm (29.4” x 8.9” x 17.4”)
- Shipping Dimensions L x W x H35.8” x 14.6” x 20.5”
- Net Weight 53.5 Kg
- Shipping Weight 56.7 Kg
Why Is This Lathe A Good Investment For Your Shop?
If you are looking to buy a wood lathe, laguna 12 16 lathe is the perfect investment for your shop. It can handle many projects due to the 1 hp motor.
The laguna 12 16 lathe is also a good investment because it is a versatile machine. It allows you to work on a variety of projects, from pens to large bowls.
The lathe is also a very compact machine. It won’t take a lot of space and is not very heavy either. It has easy-to-use functions so if you are a beginner you won’t struggle too much learning how it works.
How Does It Compare To Other Models In Its Class?
In comparison to other products in its class laguna 12 16 lathe is an excellent investment. It has a variety of features that make this machine worth every penny you’ll spend on it.
The only competitor that is quite close is the Jet 1221VS. Overall they are quite similar but if you want a more in-depth look you can read our Laguna 1216 vs Jet 1221VS article.
It is very easy to learn how to use and turn with, so if you are dead set on using wood for your projects, laguna 12 16 lathe is a good choice.
It’s made of cast iron with precision gears, so it will last you years without giving you any problems and laguna 12 16 lathe has free shipping to the continental US!
The PWM is one of the features that will make a difference when turning wood. It allows for constant torque at any speed. And you won’t see this available on other lathes.
Why Should You Buy This Lathe?
Here are some features that make this laguna 12 16 lathe great for any shop:
- The 12 16 wood lathe is made with cast iron, which makes it durable and sturdy.
- It has three speed ranges for different projects that you can work on. It also features very easy to use functions that allow anyone to learn how to use it.
- Laguna 12 16 lathe is small and compact, making this wood lathe easy to transport from one place to another.
- The PWM and 1 hp motor make this lathe quite powerful for its size.
Final Thoughts On The Laguna 12 16 Lathe Review
The laguna 12 16 lathe is a very versatile tool. It’s perfect for people who are beginning to try woodworking and more experienced craftsmen alike.
Thank you for reading our Laguna 12 16 Lathe Review.