Wood lathes are not your usual household tool; if you are thinking about a wood hobby, you need to know all the basics of this machine. Since these are not commonly used, your friends or family might not be able to give you the best recommendations as a specialist can offer regarding its purchase.
Also, it would help if you learned the know-how from a professional because the last thing you want to do is learn to operate this machinery by yourself. To prevent safety issues and use the lathe efficiently, you need to get proper training from professionals.
This post contains affiliate links. If you use these links to buy something we may earn a commission. Thank you!
Whether it’s a small project or a big one, a good wood lathe is the woodwork’s foundation. Whenever you decide to buy something, you ask yourself a few basic questions, and similarly, here are some of the factors to consider before getting your first wood lathe:
- Project type – this is the essential and most crucial factor. Think about the kind of objects you intend to make with your lathe
- Space availability – lathes come in different sizes. So do you have enough space in your workshop to house a full-size lathe that often features legs?
- Budget – then there is the question of your budget. Full-size lathes from popular brands run in hundreds of bucks. Do you have the budget for a full-on lathe, or would a mini-lathe work for you?
Wood lathes are sturdy machines, and the ones that fall in moderate to premium price range can last for several years.
This post has reviewed the KWL-1218VS lathe, which is suitable for almost all small-scale woodturning projects.
PSI Woodworking KWL-1218VS Review
The KWL – 1218VS features two different belt positions. This means you have the option to change the speeds from 500 to 1800 RPM and all the way from 1950 to 3800 RPM. The double belt positions make the lathe for versatile than its peers.
It also has a great swing of 12 inches above the lathe bed. The lathe is made from cast iron; this strong material gives years of durability to the lathe. The KWL – 1218 VS is indeed an excellent value for the price. However, few users have mentioned that it is challenging to assemble the machine because the instructions are not well put together.
- The PSI Woodworking KWL-1218VS comes with a single Horsepower speed motor with variable speeds
- It features two belt positions which are – Position A 500-1800 RPM and Position B 1950-3800 RPM
- It includes a digital readout which makes it easy to take precise and quick readings
- The distance between the centers is about 18 inches
- It has a decent swing bed which goes 12 inches above bed length
- The body is made of cast-iron
- The lathe comes with an extension bed that can reach up to 42 inches
- The machine is powered by a 1HP motor which offers the machine outstanding performance and power
- It features an SBC microprocessor which enables precise control and reliability
- The speed ranges between 150RPM and 3800 RPM
- There are 24 indexing positions that include spindle locking
- It has a weight of 106 pounds and has a 3-inch faceplate
If you liked the PSI Woodworking KWL-1218VS Review you can check our top lathes for beginners.
- The digital display is easy to read. You can take readings with a single glance
- It is a very powerful lathe that also enables you to switch to different speeds with ease
- When you make a purchase, you also get several additional accessories such as tool rests, PPE safety goggles, 4hex wrenches, and a Philips screwdriver.
- The assembling is a bit challenging as the instruction manual is not clear
Frequently Asked Questions
What kind of projects can I undertake with the KWL 1218 VS?
You can use this lathe for more than bowl turning. This machine can be used for a wide range of processes such as:
- Spindle Turning
- Bowl Turning
- Pen Making
This lathe can be used for making several exciting projects such as:
- Kitchenware – plates, spoons, forks, bowls, and cutting boards
You can also try making a wooden stand for your mobile phone with this lathe.
What are the main components of this lathe?
The lathe consists of several different components, such as:
- The bed – the bed, is the central part of a lathe. This is where all the work gets done. It is rectangular and comes with a frame. This is where you operate the carriage of your lathe. The KWL 1218 VS has a very functional and versatile bed with a decent swing.
- Tailstock – A strong tail ensures that your object stays in place while you work on it. The tail on this lathe allows multiple adjustment options so that you can work with different items of different shapes and sizes.
- Tool rest – the tool rest featured in this lathe keeps all the tools and accessories in place so that you can do your work with ease.
- Chuck – the chuck in this particular piece rests on the spindle where you rotate your pieces. The chuck is also primarily intended to hold your workpieces in place.
Conclusion Of The PSI Woodworking KWL-1218VS Review
The KWL 1218 is an excellent lathe suitable for newbies and intermediate woodturners. This is an ideal machine for making bowls. The lathe has variable speeds, which allows users to work with ease and comfort. This machine is small, but the 1Hp motor gives it all the power it needs for delivering optimal performance.